can't connect Ipad with Soti Mobi Control

FH
Franko Heckert
EHG Service GmbH (Ernstings family)

Hi everyone,

We’re using iPads with iOS 26 and Soti MobiControl 2026.1 (on-prem version).

They’re set up in the Apple Business Manager portal, and I’ve also linked a Soti MobiControl account to Apple; the connections show that everything is okay. All the firewall rules are set up as well, but when I try to connect an iPad via the Apple Manager, I always get the error message: “The MDM server certificate for … is invalid.”

In the enrollment policy, I’m simply using the “Internal MobiControl CA.” What I’ve noticed is that the time on the iPad is 10 hours off from our local time. But I can’t set the time beforehand. Apple only wants the Wi-Fi data and handles the rest on its own.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the certificate error?

Android devices work fine via Google ZeroTouch.

Kind Reagrds
Franko

21 days ago
SOTI MobiControl
ANSWERS
RS
Rafael Schäfer
20 days ago (edited 20 days ago)

I guess your finding with the time may be the thing.
Try enrolling it using mobile data or a hotspot.
If that works fine, you may need to allow something else for the ipad to reach the relevant NTP server from your network to set time/date correctly.

I don't know which NTP servers are used by iOS but it should be something like these:
time.apple.com
time.euro.apple.com
So, maybe *.apple.com to be allowed in the firewall?

Maybe you see something like these requests blocked in the firewall to get the right ones exposed.

Here's quite a huge list: 

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/101555

RC
Raymond Chan
20 days ago (edited 13 days ago)

Check and make sure that the system time and time-zone setting in the MS-Windows server hosting your on-premise MobiControl is accurate enough.  From my previous experience, a drift of about 2 minutes or more between the system/server time and the correct time can cause communication/control/enrollment problem.

 

FH
Franko Heckert
17 days ago

Hi Rafael and Raymond,


Thank you for your quick response. We've opened the ports and also tried using a hotspot, but the time on the iPads doesn't adjust beforehand. After consulting with Soti Support, we’re now installing the new Mobi Control version 2026.1.2, which apparently includes many bug fixes for Apple and enrollment.